How can a comparative newby adopt the EXERCISE format that Donald Knuth
uses in the TeXbook? (key issues: correct numbering of exercises by
chapter, and related answers written in the manuscript next to each
exercise but printed elsewhere in a separately placed key)

I've adopted komascript book format, and am happy and learning. But if I
could just put an EXERCISE with its ANSWERS in my manuscript, and have
lyx cope with the rest I'd be over the moon...

I'm very willing to learn, but slow on the uptake because it's all so
new... as always, TIA

(lyx 1.5.3 on ubuntu linux)