Thanks, Vincent. I understand better now. I was trying to use the Todo-notes
module but no custom TODO inset was showing up in the menu. Hence the (more
general) question.

It turned out that the todonotes.module file was not available in my
distribution (2.0.0svn) though it was a listed module so I had to download
this file from the LyX wiki.

-- Manoj