Hi all,

So I svn'ed LyX 2, built it, and ran it. So far so good except outlines. I ran
it against one of my existing books and its associated layout file and
seealso.inc, and it worked.

One fascinating thing is for the first time in my history with LyX, I got it
to recognize a layout file first crack out of the box. All I had to do was put
the correctly named .layout in the same directory as the document, and bang,
it worked. I know 1.6.x was *advertised* to work that way, but it didn't.
Later I'll do some experiments to see if 2.0.x really works that way every
time, or whether I just got lucky the first time with 2.0.x.  In the past I've
found layout recognition to be a hit or miss intermittent.

In August I put in a request for a couple improvements to LyX outline mode
that would stratospherically launch productivity. See it here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-de...@lists.lyx.org/msg154181.html

http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6174

The enhancement described, or even something close, would enable authors to
construct from scratch outlines within LyX, enhancing the organization and
value of their documents. It would also limit mistakes as the author flips
between outline view and document view. I see right now it's owned by
"nobody", and it would be wonderful if it could be addressed. If the
enhancement as I described it is too difficult to code in time for release, I
can work with the developer to simplify the enhancement while still retaining
its value.

Anyway, my next step will be to observe and document how all the features
added since 1.5.x work. 1.6.x had a lot of different inserts. 1.6 has layout
modules, which I haven't explored yet. I hear 2.0 allows you to shut off
spellcheck in certain styles, which probably means there's LOTS of
customization that can be done at the style level.

Anyway, thanks for the great software.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package