I'm currently running 1.6.5 on linux and trying to get out a report for a
client. Placing .jpg figures in floats is consuming much too much time. I
cannot size them to display properly. If I change the display percentage,
specify a width or height, or change the clipping the darn things move to
the bottom of the next page and I cannot get them back. With two figure
float references in sequential paragraphs a half page is left empty after
the first one and the second is displayed on the following page.

  I cannot recall having such difficulties before. Could this have anything
to do with mixing .jpg and .pdf inserts in the same document?

Rich