On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2010 17:43:10 Julio Rojas wrote:
>> The only feature I miss is a layout editor. I don't know how easy
>> would it be to program one, but that would be one good addition.
>
> It's hard Julio. It's hard enough that I couldn't even *specify* a layout
> editor, though I tried. If I'd been able to specify one, I'd have either
> pestered the LyX crew to write it, or written it myself in Perl/Tk (I'm not
> much of a Qt type of guy).

It would be a useful feature to have and something that I've looked
for in the TeX/LaTeX environment for decades. Simple word processors
achieve it by allowing documents to be created as templates. So it is
a real shame that TeX has never had anything equivalent other than
trial and error.

> I'm thinking the best way to address the difficulty of new environments and
> character styles might be to start a public collection of them. ...

Don't we already have that with the CTAN archive? Why create a
separate LyX one when the LaTeX part of CTAN already exists?

> Wordperfect and MSWord have layout editors of sorts, but their tags are sooooo
> much simpler than LaTeX.

And doesn't Scribus (as a DTP package using XML) have a layout editor.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!