Guenter Milde wrote:
On 22.03.10, Tim Wescott wrote:
Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2010-03-22, Tim Wescott wrote:

You will need to install more of texlive than just the basics (which are
auto-installed as a LyX dependency).

I think I have a handle on this, but it sure changes the meaning of
"create from template" away from "oh look at all these handy,
helpful templates!"  Something more like "Oh look at this ready-made
minefield!"

You might file an enhancement/bug report to ask for disabling
not-supported templates (or a warning) similar to what is done if you
select a non-supported document class under Document>Settings.

If you have enough disk-space and a fast internet connection, you can
also consider installing the full texlive suite (I don't remember the
name of the meta package just now).

Günter

I generally don't start filing enhancement/bug reports on software until I've had at least a little bit of mileage with it. As an absolute newbie it's an even bet between whether my problems stem from a real issue with the software or from my own ignorance.

I think this may be an exception, though -- it certainly would be helpful for everyone, and far less confusing for newbies, to do this. And you _do_ want newbies to have a positive experience, lest they run screaming back to their nice, comfortable WSIWYG editor, and fail to lend their support to your community.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services