Dear all,
those using LyX or direct LaTeX (pdflatex) often need to convert sources in MS Word .doc format into .lix format. On Linux platforms there are at least AbiWord and Kword that can open doc files and save them in various other formats, .tex included. Unfortunately the LaTeX file thus obtained is pittyful. >From the wiki page of LyX it is possible to download of a Word2LyXMacro that works well for on Windows platformas, but I did not succeed to make it work on a Mac with MSOffice2004. On Windows the macro performs very well and the LyX code produced allows LyX to view the file without problems and possibly to save it in .lyx format, of course but also in a pretty good LaTeX format, which in general requires just a few minor adjustments, for language, input encoding, output font encoding, font usage (Latin Modern would be a better default then EC if the pdflatex option is selected), and few other small things. Somewhere on the package description for the Debian/Ubuntu package the wv software is suggested; apparently this software has so many dependencies that even on a Ubuntu platform it's difficult to compile and install it, even if the wv libraries are already installed. I would kindly suggest to examine the possibility of integrating into LyX the necessary code to open, read, edit a .doc file on any LyX implementation (Linux, Mac, Windows), so as to be able to save it in .lyx format. Any user can reopen the .lyx file and do with it anything LyX is capable of.

Thanks for your attention
Claudio Beccari

PS, as a member of the Italian TeX Users Group (GuIT) I edited (in Italian) a Guide for the usage of LaTeX as a typesetting tool; see the GuIT web site http://www.guit.sssup.it; I wrote a specific paragraph on LyX; I would be pleased if I could add the information that LyX is the /*only* instrument for converting, editing and typesetting/ a source document originally in doc format. ;-) CB