On 04/13/2010 04:43 PM, J├╝rgen Spitzm├╝ller wrote:
rgheck wrote:
It'd be nice to hear precisely what people would want that version
control does not provide. I have a hard time myself seeing why it is any
more than an "isn't that cool" feature for two people simultaneously to
edit a single document. I.e., fun, but hardly revolutionary as far as
actual productivity goes, at least for the sort of work most LyX users
actually do. There's no doubt that LyXs' VC support could be improved,
and it has been in some significant ways for 2.0, so we'd happily hear
suggestions about that, too.

I also think that VC probably provides all you need for collaboration
(although a closer integration of VC, comparision and CT would be cool).

For me, a main obstacle is the lack of a suitable web service. My Faculty does
not provide svn or other VC repositories, and I did not find a suitable
service on the web yet, where I can savely store my data in such a way that
only selected people can access it. But maybe I just didn't search long
enough.

You don't need it!

git (or any distributed scm) can do it for you. You can create a git repo for one specific LyX document (including all children and graphics) and use that as the transport medium. If you can clone over the web then fine (git supports a number of protocols icluding http); if not you can just as well send either the 'git diff' output or the full git repo by mail. At the other end, your co-writer would merge your diff or a local copy of your git repo and merge it with his own git repo.

As I have once outlined in the devel list, it should be possible to streamline the entire process within LyX. This would become the often requested portable LyX format, except that this file would just be a git repo. This way, you would have access immediately to all elements of your documents (including graphics) but also to the full history of the document. This can of collaboration tool would be unbeatable if you ask me. Now, we just need to find someone who has the time and energy to implement this :-)

Abdel.