Great post Abdel.

The idea of sharing repos as a portable document format is great. The only
issue I have with git is that it depends on a mixture of C, shell and perl
scripts that make it hardly portable. But I could be wrong. Assuming a
working python on the system is not that bad (OSX, *BSDs and linuxes most
have them). And python is already a requirement for LyX right? So my vote
goes to mercurial.
Best,
-Jose

Jose Quesada, PhD.
Max Planck Institute,
Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition,
Berlin
http://www.josequesada.name/
http://twitter.com/Quesada