Hello,

I have several questions regarding numbered equations:

  1. How does one add punctuation to numbered equations?
  2. How does one make the equations be part of a paragraph that begins
     before and continues after them?
  3. How does one continue a numbered equation across multiple lines?

For example:

        Three of the most often quoted elementary mathematical
   equations are

       2 + 2 = 4                                        (1),
       C = 2 x pi x r                                  (2), and
       A = (1/2) b x h                               (3).

   As you can see, Equation 2 is the most complex.

In the above example, I can't figure out how to add the commas, period, and conjunction adjacent to the equation numbers. Also notice that the sentence beginning with "As" is part of the paragraph beginning with "Three." I can't get Lyx to format them right. The sentence beginning with "Three" is indented because it starts a paragraph. When I add anything after an equation number, LyX automatically treats it as a new paragraph. So in the above example, the line beginning with "As you can" is treated as the start of a new paragraph and indented.

Regarding my third question, I have a long equation that should span multiple lines. Instead, LyX keeps it on one line that runs off the right side of the page, when it should look like:

   5 = 1 + 5 = 2 + 3 = 3 + 2 = 4 + 1 = 10/2
          = 50/10 = 100/20                               (4)

Thanks for your help.

Marsh Feldman