I am doing some part time study and for my assignments I have been
writing them up using LyX.

some of the parts of questions that I answer end up in the format
1) i) a)
      b)
    ii)
2)
3) i)

or similar.  For my first assignment I was using enumerate with some
holding text and the numbers did not appear
on one line
e.g.
1) question on foo
    i) specifically bar
        a).....

for my second assignment I separated the blank levels of enumerate
with phantom.  The lower level appears on a different line in the LyX
interface, but in the final
document appears as desired on the same line as the blank higher level.

I had a look for documentation on Phantom and could not find anything
relating to this.  Is this a feature of phantom, or just a handy side
effect?

--
Stephen