Sending this to user's, too....

On 05/18/2010 10:24 AM, Wes Lakenan wrote:

Hi,

My company is looking into switching from MS Word to a less stressful program to create textbook-like binders. My company is a government contractor that teaches program management courses that utilize both printed text and PowerPoint presentations. Right now, we create PowerPoint files and copy/paste them into a Word document. This allows the students to follow along with the printed text and use the inserted PowerPoint slides to follow the presentation. However, every time a slide is changed or deleted, every slide needs to be reinserted. Is it possible to insert individual slides throughout the document one by one? I appreciate any help you can give me.

I have only a very vague sense what you are trying to do, but I think this kind of thing would be possible. Is the idea that the slides from the presentation appear as images in the text, so that the student can see them there with the text?

If so, then I would think the workflow could look like this. You create two separate documents: a LyX document for the text, and a presentation document, for which you could use OpenOffice Impress or LyX itself, via the Beamer class, or you could stick with PowerPoint. You print the presentation document as a PDF and then use something like pdftoppm to convert the pages of the pdf to images. The images themselves can then be inserted into the LyX document in the usual way. Since all of this is just running a bunch of programs, it could all be automated, even, though you might have to check the image names manually, as they could change if you'd added or removed pages.

Richard