On 05/20/2010 03:58 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] eBioTIC. wrote:
Hi all,

New to this incredible edition framework, please, forgive me if I am
missing something obvious.

One the most difficult decisions I'm facing while starting to work
with LyX is to chose what Document class I must use for a given work.
It seems to me really hard do decide between the multiple options
without having an in depth knowledge of the whole LyX ecosystem.

So, please, could you advice me on what Document class I must use to
edit a problems book?

This decision is not as momentous as you might think. It's generally pretty easy to change from one class to another, within reason, e.g., from one book class to another. Going from book to article is a bit more of a challenge, because you lose chapters and so have to choose new layouts for them. But that's about it.

So: Do you need Chapters? If so, start with Book; if not, start with Article. If you want to know about the difference between the various book classes, then you can look at the koma-script docs (scrguien.pdf) for those, at the memoir docs, etc. All of these have lots of flexibility, but you may or may not need it.

It will accompany a Quantitative Genetics essay. It will include text
paragraphs presenting the problems by themselves, each of them
composed of several parts. After each part, some text paragraphs
explaining the theoretical basis of the proposed solution will appear
followed by the solution by itself that will include numbered
mathematical formulas (they will be cross-referenced in the text) and
some more text explaining the reasoning.

What I definitely WILL suggest is that you spend a bit of time creating character styles, or paragraph layouts, for these different sorts of things (Problem, Basis, Solution). This will allow you to apply a consistent format across your book. It will take work to get it right---you'll want to study chapter 5 of the customization manual, and you'll need to learn a little LaTeX (or else just ask questions)---but you do not have to do this work now and can mess with it over time. I'm attaching a trivial module that does nothing but define those three layouts, give them pretty labels, and make them do nothing special. Use them now; define their behavior later.

Richard

#\DeclareLyXModule{Problem Book}
#DescriptionBegin
#Trivial starting layouts for a problem book
#DescriptionEnd

Format 11

Style Problem
        CopyStyle            Standard
#       LatexType            Environment
#       LatexName            problem
        LabelType            Static
        LabelString          "Problem"
        LabelSep             "MM"
End

Style Basis
        CopyStyle            Standard
#       LatexType            Environment
#       LatexName            basis
        LabelType            Static
        LabelString          "Theoretical Basis"
        LabelSep             "MM"
End

Style Solution
        CopyStyle            Standard
#       LatexType            Environment
#       LatexName            solution
        LabelType            Static
        LabelString          "Solution"
        LabelSep             "MM"