William R. Buckley wrote:
> Which is it?  Where exactly should .layout files be located?

I do not know the exact path on windows (it might depend on the actual
installation), but if you open Help > About LyX, the information on the
"Version" pane contains two paths, "Library directory" and "User directory".
The latter is it. You need to put the layout files in a "layout" subdirectory
in that path (create it if it's not there yet).

Do not forget to issue Tools > Reconfigure after you added a new layout.

This advice is also on the wiki, see
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/UserDir

> And, why is the language given in the product not consistent with the
> language given in the Wiki and the documentation?

As far as the wiki is concerned: this is a user-driven platform, so everybody
is invited to correct errors.

As to the documentation: the documentation team certainly acknowledges hints
to errors or unclear passages.

Jürgen