On 2010-06-12, Barak Sh wrote:
> --0050450156d81d9ee90488d09573

> An article I'm writing has reached 7 pages where the last page contains
> only a small paragraph. Is there a simple way to reduce the article to
> 6 pages?

> ... I have noticed that there are many blank spaces between paragraphs
> and between formulas and text.

If it is up to you, you can select parindent instead of parskip.

Don't start a new paragraph before and after a formula.
This happens, if you hit Enter (Return).
The difference is hard to spot in LyX but might be your problem.
View>Source helps, if there is a blank line around formulas, delete the
newlines (and use Ctrl-Z if you accidentially delete the formula as
well).

> There must be a simple way to tell LaTeX to make these spaces a
> bit smaller so that the article fits comfortably into 6 pages. (I know
> there's an option in Document Settings to specify the vertical
> separation of paragraphs. It's already at the smallest value.)

If you need parskip use the parskip package instead of LyX GUI setting
(set to parindent and in the LaTeX preamble write
\usepackage{parskip}. This reduces excess space around lists, headings etc.

Günter