On Wednesday 23 June 2010 19:18:36 Alex Fernandez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Version 0.99 of eLyXer, the LyX to HTML converter, has just been
> released. This version features (by popular request) many improvements
> in BibTeX, and the new --template option for HTML templates. Feature
> completeness for the upcoming 1.0 should now be definitive, so the
> code will be frozen except for fixes. Once more, please report back
> any issues so that 1.0 is as complete and bug-free as possible. Major
> improvements include:
> ---
> – BibTeX: improved template definitions, variable citing styles, better
>  parsing. – Added option --template to use an HTML template and substitute
> <!--$content-->, <!--$title-->...
> – Added option --copyright to add a copyright notice at the bottom (no
> longer there by default). Deprecated old option --nocopy.
> – Added support for including files as a code listing.
> ---
> Complete changelog:
>  http://www.nongnu.org/elyxer/changelog.html
>
> Download from nongnu.org mirrors:
>  https://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=elyxer
>
> If the new version has not hit your favorite mirror yet:
>  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/elyxer/
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed, and to the rest thank you for your
>  patience.
>
> Alex Fernández.

Congratulations on a job well done Alex!

I just downloaded 0.99, ran it against my book "Twenty Eight Tales of
Troubleshooting", and had it build me an HTML file. Frankly, I expected it to
crash and burn on a file that size, but instead for the most part eLyXer
worked perfectly. Rather than elaborate on the thousands of things eLyXer did
right, I'll list a few of the things that were less than perfect:

MINOR AGGRAVATIONS:

* Parts, Chapters and Sections weren't distinct enough in their font or look.
Probably I could fix that by changing your included CSS file or making one
just for this book.

* Graphics are the right size in the book for screen reading, but are too
small in the HTML file. I imagine I could either do some config on eLyXer or
run a postprocessor to correctly size the graphics.

MEDIUM CONCERNS

* As everyone knows, I fine-tune the heck out of my front matter. ElYxer
dropped the first 2.5 pages of my book, starting in the middle of page 3.
Nothing that can't be worked around, but...

GENUINE WORRIES

* eLyXer wrote .png copies of my book's graphics in my existing images
directory. With this particular book that's no big deal because my book used
.gif images. But what if my book had used .png images -- would they have been
overwritten with (presumably smaller) .png copies, thereby changing the
appearance of the book? I'd suggest that if the book has images in the images
directory, you copy them into the images_elyxer directory. If it has images in
the mypictures directory, you copy them into the mypictures_elyxer directory.
If they're in the current directory (ugly way to do things, but just saying),
copy them into a new directory hard code named elyxer_images. I know probably
eLyXer has code to prevent overwriting, but the user who wants to use eLyXer
naively would appreciate the new directories being used for eLyXer generated
graphics.

=======

Good work Alex -- it converted wonderfully.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US