Right, so just overlook everything in that last email.  It doesn't work.
You might be able to accomplish something by redefining the
\thebibliography and \bibitem commands (and probably one or two more),
but I'd need to think about how to go about doing it before making
recommendations.

If this route interests you, you can find some additional information
at:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Bibliography_Management

And in chapter 12 in the LaTeX companion.

Cheers,

Rob