Thanks Richard, I feel I'm getting closer to understanding what's going on.

How does one know what classes LyX checks for? If, for example, I have my own class (myclass), which in turn uses a half dozen other classes, will LyX just check for my class? Or are there some classes it checks for and others not?

    Marsh

P.S. I don't suppose these details are documented anywhere are they?