Thanks Steve for your suggestion. But  I wanted a second - but shorter - table
of contents, i.e. a short summary of my table of contents whichs spans several
pages.

The shorttoc packages promises to provide exactly such thing. And it really
does. The "only" problem I have with shorttoc: There is a option in this package
to tight this second table of contents, but this option does not work for me.

The resulting table summary looks ugly as for each section (and I wanted only
chapter and section to be included in this second table of contents) there is an
empty line between.

And I'm not sure if I could use your code snippets as they refer to the standard
table of contents.

Peter