On 09/04/2010 10:37 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2010-09-04, Wendell Smith wrote:

I have been using LyX for a while now, and very much enjoying it, but I
would really love to be able to set different key bindings for math mode
and non-math mode. My main reason for this is that in math mode, I have
to use the Ctrl, Meta, and Shift keys so much that its starting to hurt
my fingers, and I would like to have keybindings without modifiers
(except maybe Shift for capitals) - so insert x would be 'v x' instead
of just 'x', integral would be 'i', etc. Obviously, in text mode this
would be very irritating, but in math mode, I think I would find it very
convenient. Could that be done? Is there some way to automatically
switch keybindings upon entering/leaving math mode?
Separate math keybindings are a long standing request (by me) but
unfortunately not regarded as very important.

I don't think this would be all that hard, if someone wanted to do it. But I'm oversubscribed and don't really use the math bindings all that much.

There is the "command-alternative" construct, however, that allows you
to bind math-functions to keys that would otherwise be invalid in math
mode.

I was wondering if an easy way to do this wasn't to introduce a dummy LFUN_IN_MATH that would do nothing but be enabled when we are in math mode. Maybe there could also be LFUN_IN_TABLE and LFUN_IN_TEXT. Then the command-alternatives stuff takes care of this.

Richard