is there a way to mark tables to be converted into a graphical embed version
instead of "e-reader flowable" text?

I am trying to convert a XeTex based document into epub format via calibre,
but the tables get whacked. I was thinking that if the tables were put into
the destination PDF from LyX as a graphic and not as placed text, it might
mitigate this.

This is not something I would want to normally do, but trying to convert to
this UTF8 thing I have into epub has become a bit of a hassle.

I tried the eLyXer -> xhtml (&html4) -> import as xhtml in calibre route,
but there are LOTS of tags that fail validation....

Thanks for the thoughts.

-Mike