Dear all:

As we work in Lyx to create our alternative books here in Goa, India,
we often run into the headache of having to convert entire doc files
into Lyx. This is a time-consuming and fraught-with-errors process,
and a line-by-line manual method.

Recently, thanks to the very efficient Lyx-Users list
[lyx-us...@lists.lyx.org] list, I learnt of some ways through which to
convert doc files into Lyx. The formatting often works, and with a
quick clean-up, it's possible to preserve formatting and import it
straight into Lyx.

This really saves a lot of time, energy and trouble.

Let me share it with you here, while thanking Stefano for helping me
convert some of my files!

Jim Oldfield <jim_...@yahoo.co.uk>: One way would be to open the file
in Word and from there save it as an HTML file.  Then in LyX import
that HTML file.  I doubt the results would be very good, but they
would probably at least preserve the italics.

stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com>: The conversion is never
pretty, I am afraid. I usually follow  this path:
1. in word (or equivalent) save from doc  to rtf
2. convert rtf to latex with rtftolatex2e   (in Linux and, I think,
MacOs X. I do not know if a version for windows exists)
3. clean up the tex file in a text editor (in particular, remove all
the \tab commands, take a close look at the font commads)
4. import the latex file into lyx

Notice that most of the formatting is done via ad hoc latex command
(i.e. changing the fonts, inserting spaces, etc), instead of using the
proper Latex commands (i.e. title, chapter, emphasis, etc). That is
how the rtf-to-latex converter works. If you want a "proper" Lyx file,
you would have to clean up the file, by removing all the formatting
instruction in ERT boxes (i.e. the boxes with \tab et similia), and by
fixing the formatting with lyx formatting commands. For instance, the
paragraph spacing should be uniform, etc. But the lyx file should get
you going.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <e...@lisse.na>: I have had to do this a bit
recently and find that the easiest way is to
   open the file in OpenOffice, and export it to LaTeX (you need an
   extension, google for it) using the ultra-clean option.
   Then I use TeXShop to get rid of some unnecessary stuff and change
   the header to what I like in LyX and then run tex2lyx.
Works very nicely.
It may work for you. Others have suggested the html route

Frederick Noronha :: +91-9822122436 :: +91-832-2409490