-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 12/01/2010 07:55 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 08:00 AM, Birte Schoettker wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I run Lyx 1.6.6.1 under Windows and use Jabref 2.6 to create my *.bib
>> file for the references I use in Lyx via Insert>List/TOC>BiBTex
>> Bibliography'.
>> That all worked fine so far for the last 2 years, gaining insights
>> about coding in jabref and dabandoning endnote for good on this way so
>> far.
>>
>> What confuses me these days, is that I cannot recall to have changed
>> anything relevant from last week to this in my *.bib reference file. I
>> might have added about 10 more references or deleted a couple.
>> However, the last times I tried to use my added bibliography in Lyx
>> via "Insert> Citation" it has been missing all entries in my *.bib
>> file or jabref library alphabetically onwards from Wi*** to Z.
>> The number of my references in my library is 1898 (!). Is there a
>> cut-off I am not aware off?
>>
> No, there's no cutoff. What's probably happening is that you have an
> illegal character in one of your entries, probably the first one that
> doesn't appear, and LyX is aborting the read when it sees it. This is a
> pretty common problem. It often happens when people cut and paste
> material from the web into JabRef and they get a funny quote or
> something in there. If you can manage to launch LyX from a terminal,
> then you will probably see the error message, which may also help. If
> not, you can send me the file privately, and I'll figure it out.
> 
>> Information that might be important:
>> - coding of my library: Cp1252
>>
> I don't know if that is an issue or not, but, ideally, BibTeX files
> should always be pure ASCII. If you need non-ASCII characters, then use
> the LaTeX equivalent.

That directly leads me to a question I asked earlier, but did not find
an answer to:

How can I easily identify non-ASCII characters in the bibtex file?

I struggled with this quite a lot (as I moved from a home made ACCESS
database to Reference Manager database to bibtex), and I THINK my bibtex
is now clean, but, I am not sure.

Is there a script which I could run to identify non-ASCII characters in
the bibtex file?


I am running Linux.

Cheers,

Rainer

> 
> Richard
> 


- -- 
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      rai...@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkz3Z9cACgkQoYgNqgF2egqHbgCfeNVuMEQkFiHOEKiP+wRfEQDr
4JcAoICYpdiUWWoguCl/2CBAxmZQZIZY
=QwTs
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply via email to