Am 07.12.2010 um 19:53 schrieb Steve Litt:

> On Tuesday 07 December 2010 01:33:03 Stephan Witt wrote:

>>> I believe the intention is to manage the personal dictionary internally,
>>> though I am not the one doing this work. It is your namesake, Stephan
>>> Witt ;-). The main motivation is that the various backends we use aren't
>>> at all consistent in how they handle adding and removing words, and some
>>> of them don't even support removal. There's also the issue with
>>> persistence, which you seem to have experienced. So doing it all inside
>>> LyX, as far as the personal dictionary goes, makes sense.
>>
>> That's a good summary of my work, thanks. :-)
>>
>> The current state for LyX 2.0 beta2 is a working internal personal
>> dictionary at a fixed location inside your LyX users directory.  Now
>> adding and removing of words works for me with aspell and hunspell with
>> the internal personal dictionary on Linux and Mac OS X (Windows I couldn't
>> test).
>>
>> Next I want to make the location of the personal dictionary more flexible.
>>
>> For LyX 1.6.9 I'll have a look at #6688 - I didn't see it earlier.
>> As I understand it the path to personal dictionary is used in 1.6.x for
>> ispell (and external aspell?) only. And of course one should be able to
>> clear the input field and save that.

This should be fixed now with the next stable release.

BTW, the removal of the path to personal dictionary file was not my doing.
The feature was implemented for ispell and external aspell only and together
with the support for external aspell it was removed.

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Am I reading you correctly that the LyX internal dictionary is just a file?
> If
> so, is it a file I can add to and subtract from with a text editor or a perl
> script?

Yes, but the "file format" is not that mature.
I didn't expect such "big audience" for it.

Currently it's as simple as one header line and one line per word with utf-8
charset.

After your question I'll make it more formal and will document it in place.

> You mention you want to make the personal dictionary location more flexible.
> Sounds good to me. Let me ask you something -- besides being able to set it
> in
> Tools->Configure, would it be possible for you to add it on a per-document
> basis?
> It might be as simple as adding a special comment to the document:
>
> # LYX_PERSONAL_DICTIONARY=/home/slitt/books/thrive/thrive.pws
>
> and then being able to edit it from a Document->Settings, and recognize it
> when running spellcheck. The document's personal dictionary, if it exists,
> would override the Tools->Configure based personal dictionary.

> The benefit of this is every document has words that belong to it, but these
> words would be wrong in another document. Names of characters in a fiction
> book come to mind instantly, but there could also be special acronyms for a
> special technology, etc.
>
> Does that sound doable?

I'm not sure about the concrete incarnation of that feature.
Doable is not the question - how to do it right is.
That doesn't mean I don't like it...

See the post from Julien:

> Am 07.12.2010 um 20:52 schrieb Julien Rioux:
>
> You might even be able to store the private list of words itself in the LyX
> document,
> instead of storing a pointer to an external file.

This would solve the problems when you exchange the document with co-workers.
But perhaps, exactly this is not wanted - I'm not sure. What do you think?

The biggest problem with this idea is the LyX file format change.
After 2.0 release it will remain fixed AFAIK - and this means the feature
will be a target for the 2.1 cycle. We want to get 2.0 out soon.

Stephan