On 2011-01-16, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:

>> Most probably, you don't need the TeX ligatures (at least, they should
>> not be needed with LyX), so leaving the offending option out is the
>> simplest way.
>> Otherwise, check the fontconfig documentation for your version.

> I haven't intentionally set any ligature option. How could I disable it?

I don't know. Maybe they are hard-coded (which IMO would be a bug),
maybe there is an option in the non-TeX font settings dialogue.

>> If LyX inserts the option, export to LaTeX, fix and compile "by hand".
>> If this helps, report back so that it could be fixed in LyX.

> I managed to export to LaTeX (xetex or luatex) and comment out the
> ligature line,

You need the line (which selects the font), but not the option.
Remove only the part in [] including the brackets themselves.

> but then I'm not sure how to compile by hand. I tried
> latex newfile3.tex
> xetex newfile3.tex
> luatex newfile3.tex

> They all fail with multiple errors.  Ideas?

`latex` and `pdflatex` will fail (if you exported as (Xe|Lua)tex) because
of Unicode characters and the fontconfig package.

`xetex` and `luatex` correspond to `tex` - the "plain" TeX macro set.

You need `xelatex` or `lualatex`. If there are still errors, report
them.

Günter