On 01/21/2011 10:52 AM, lyx-de...@oak-tree.us wrote:
Hi Tim,

I haven't looked into, but you might see what tools are available for
creating ePub files. LyX can export to XHTML already, and ePub is merely a
subset of XHTML.

It seems that getting an XHTML file is the easy step. You could either use
eLyXer, or the native XHTML export.  Both appear to create very nice
output. From there, you would only need to find a tool to convert the
XHTML to ePub. One option might be Calibre, which is a free eBook library
tool.

After the ePub file has been created.  You could go after it with a
dedicated editor, such as Sigil.

I'm willing to bet that you could probably automate the entire process
without too much effort. It might be possible to even create a script that
does it all for you. Calibre has a command line processor, even though I
haven't played with it much.

If interested, you can find more about the different:

Calibre -  http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/conversion.html
Sigil - https://code.google.com/p/sigil/

This page also has some good info, though it's a bit dated.
http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/Readers.asp

Let me know how your experiments go. I'm also in the process of trying to
figure out how to convert my own book to ePub for digital distribution and
would love to bounce ideas back and forth.

I started digging into eBook formats and got discouraged -- it looks like I can address some narrow segment of the eBook market with any given format, but would need to have numerous ones to address any large swath.

So for now, I think I'll move on to other things, and keep an eye on what formats are (or will be) most promising.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services