Hi —

I am a newcomer to this list. Please forgive me in advance for missteps. This
looks like a really great community and I look forward to learning fast.

I'm running Lyx2.0b3 on Mac OSX 10.6.6. I have the latest installation from Mac
TeX and (using TeX Live Utility) did an update of all packages. I started
several documents using the plain article class, using the following
environments: Standard, Title, Abstract, Section, Itemize, Paragraph, and Float
(Figure). Each has some images and a few local styles (just using the LyX
interface). Now I want to start making the document more attractive and I want
to see what I can do with the latex-tufte class. I switched the class and then
the errors started as soon as I try to view the DVI. Basically, I get several
repetitions of this pattern in the LaTeX Errors window:

        ! Argument of \MakeTextLowercase has an extra }.
        ! Paragraph ended before \MakeTextLowercase was complete.
        ! You can't use `math shift character $' after \the.
        ! Argument of \@skipmath has an extra }.
        ! Paragraph ended before \@skipmath was complete.

All five of those lead to a highlight of the same portion of text in the
document. Looking at the source for that portion (and the surrounding source),
I don't see any evidence of the errors listed. In fact, I don't see any of the
commands (is that the right word?) listed. I am modestly skilled at some
scripting languages, but a TeX newbie, so I don't really know where to dig. I
can add that, when I look at View Complete Log, there is actually a larger
pattern. (The overview LaTeX Errors window seems to leave some out.) Listing
only the error lines themselves (I assume those are the ones with exclamation
points), this is the complete pattern (after which it moves to another place in
the document and does the whole thing again):

        ! Argument of \MakeTextLowercase has an extra }.
        ! Paragraph ended before \MakeTextLowercase was complete.
        ! You can't use `math shift character $' after \the.
        ! Argument of \@skipmath has an extra }.
        ! Paragraph ended before \@skipmath was complete.
        ! Undefined control sequence.
        ! Use of \SOUL@n doesn't match its definition.
        ! Use of \protect doesn't match its definition.
        ! Package soul Error: Reconstruction failed.
        ! Undefined control sequence.
        ! Missing number, treated as zero.
        ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
        ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.

In addition to looking at the source, I have cut back on the document so that
it only produces one of these, and then, eventually, none. Character by
character, I found some arbitrary place where it started to do this. To my
naive eyes, there is nothing magical about that point. I am happy to try other
troubleshooting techniques.

Suggestions?

TIA, to say the least....

— Michael