On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Kerensa McElroy <kere...@unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> yes, I did see this
> thread,http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg84463.html, to
> no avail originally,
> however it jogged me into working out a solution now that I've read it
> again!
> Here is the complete instructions to solving this problem, for anyone who
> needs them:
> 1. change into directory /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin
> 2. type sudo ./texhash (and enter password)
> 3. open lyx, go to LyX>Preferences>Paths> PATH Prefix. Remove whatever else
> is there and replace with  /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin.
> Save.
> 4. Go to LyX >Reconfigure.
> 5. Close LyX and open it again.
> Kerensa.

This looks to me like a workaround for a botched MacTeX installation.
Take a look at:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/2010/What_Is_Installed.pdf

You should have a softlink at /usr/texbin that points to
/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin. If not, then something
went wrong, and I'd wonder whether you might encounter other problems
down the road.

I'd suggest checking to see that everything was installed where that
document says it should be, and then opening System Preferences,
clicking on the TeX Distribution button at the bottom, and ensuring
that TeXLive-2010 is selected. If that creates the /usr/texbin
softlink, then you should use that in LyX -- restoring the original
list for PATH Prefix in LyX's preferences. If not, when you upgrade to
MacTeX-2011, LyX won't know how to find it.

BH