On 03/08/2011 02:50 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
On 03/08/2011 04:53 AM, Stephan Witt wrote:
Am 08.03.2011 um 10:38 schrieb Marco Möller:

Hi,

does someone know, if there are plans to improve the printer dialog?
I don't know of any plan.

Actually, there's a plan to remove it altogether, because....

I have multiple printers and currently I mostly have to export the pdf
first and print from acroread/ocular to enable/disable
duplex/multiside printing /...
You can use view-pdf and print from it.

this is what everyone does.

You know what wouuld be very nice? A comand line option to okular so that it show its printer dialog on a given file...

In the good old time we had a cups-gui or something but it doesn't exist anymore it seems. There is 'cupsdoprint' though...

Abdel.

CUPSDOPRINT(1) printing tool CUPSDOPRINT(1)

NAME
       cupsdoprint - KDE command line tool to print files via CUPS

SYNOPSIS
cupsdoprint [-H host[:port]] [-P dest] [-J name] [-o opt=value[,...]]
                   [-U login[:password]] files...

DESCRIPTION
cupsdoprint is a command line tool to print files using the CUPS printing system.

       cupsdoprint does not support printing from stdin.

You can use lpoptions -l -p Printername to discover the options a certain printer supports.

OPTIONS
       -?     show help options

       -H host:port
              cups host to print to

       -J name
              print job name
              default: "KDE Print System"

       -o opt=value
              options to use

       -P dest
              printer to use

       -U login:password
              login and password to use

EXAMPLE
       cupsdoprint -P HPLaserJet4L -H localhost:631 -U john
                   -o Copies=10,PageSize=A4 /tmp/file.ps

Prints 10 copies in format A4 of the file /tmp/file.ps as user john via localhost:631 on the printer HPLaserJet4L.

SEE ALSO
       www.linuxprinting.org Information about printing under UNIX

       lp(1), lpr(1), lpoptions(1)

AUTHORS
       Michael Goffioul <kdepr...@swing.be>

Please use http://bugs.kde.org to report bugs, do not mail the author directly.

This manual page was written by Holger Hartmann <holger_hartm...@gmx.de> for the Debian Project (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Gen‐ eral Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.

On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/com‐
       mon-licenses/GPL.

K Desktop Environment Jun 2006 CUPSDOPRINT(1)