Try changing the font of your LyX document. To do this, open the document, and
then open the "document" menu and choose the "settings" item. Now choose the
"fonts" page, and choose something for the "Roman" font.

To get the default font but less pixelated (what you call "pale"), choose
"Latin
Modern Roman". Or, try experimenting with other fonts in that list. For
example,
my preferred choice is "Palatino".

Jim