> A peculiar problem: when I set a word in italics, it  tends
> tosticktothenextword, unless I manually place an inter-word  space
> between both. This can be quite time-consuming.

As David says, this is only a display problem in LyX. If you when you preview
the file as a PDF everything looks OK, eventhewordsstucktogether, then this is
known bug. It's fixed in LyX 2.0.0, which comes out very soon.

In the meantime, you try other screen fonts (in Tools>Preferences), some of
which might not suffer so badly from this problem. This won't affect the PDF
output, which instead uses the font in Document>Settings.

On the other hand, if you see the problem even in the PDF, and you're sure you
entered spaces, please file a bug.

Jim