Jens,

The process that is left running is called pdftex (not pdflatex), and
its parent process is called Python, whose parent process is Lyx.  That
is the sequence of parent to child processes.

In relation to what I inserted into the koma-let2.lyx template file it
was simply a → inserted in MATH mode, not text mode.  It does not matter
what symbol you insert in Maths mode.

To reproduce it you simply load up the koma-let2.lyx template, compile
it as an initial test.  It will compile, and if you look at the
processes the pdftex process will have started with the compile, and
then would have closed. So it no longer appears on the list of
processes.

Now add in in a symbol in Maths mode. Compile the same file but with
only this symbol added.  The pdftex process will continue to run once
the compilation is complete.  Quit lyx, and you will see the pdftex is
still running and consuming 100% of the core that it is running on.

You have to do a "Qui"t from the Activity Monitor to stop pdftex.  The
Python process )the parent of pdftex) stops when Lyx is exited.

It would be a good idea in the future to make sure that Lyx closes all
the process that it is responsible for, even if a process has gone
rogue.  Of course an error message is handy if this is occurring.

Thanks for your comments on this issue.

Regards

Bob Betz

Dr. Robert Betz
Ampcontrol Professor of Power Engineering,
Head, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment,
University of Newcastle, Australia,

email: robert.b...@newcastle.edu.au
FAX: +61-2-4921-6993
TEL: +61-2-4921-6091
Mobile: (+61)-(0)419249948
Web: http://eecsbobb.newcastle.edu.au/rebetz

>>> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at  1:23 PM, in message
<98c5da25-698c-4e06-80a1-60c520337...@uoregon.edu>, Jens Nöckel
<noec...@uoregon.edu> wrote:

Bob,

I'm not sure I understand the problem, but I'm guessing you inserted a
character like
→

 into the text, while not in math mode. If so, you could try to
circumvent the problem by going to Document > Settings > Fonts and
changing the template's Roman font from "Palatino" to "Default".

I don't see the same pdflatex crash as you, but LyX displays a latex
error message if I try to use Palatino font with that "\textrightarrow"
character. So I can't be sure if this helps you. Could it be that your
TeX installation is out of date?

It may be worth thinking about how LyX can keep track of pdflatex
processes it has spawned, so that it can "kill -9" crashed processes
when the user exits LyX (after warning about it). I don't think that
anything like that has been implemented at this point. And of course
that wouldn't help fix the root cause of your problem.

Jens