On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Bob Alvarez <cobol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am installing Lyx 1.6.9 on a Macbook Air OSX 10.6 .  Looking through the
> instructions I was dismayed to see that I may have to install the 1.6 GB
> MacTex package. This machine only has a 64 GB drive so this is quite a lot
> of overhead not to mention that the download will take many hours on my
> basic DSL connection.
>
> The Wiki suggests BasicTex but this thread suggests that is a bad idea
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg78404.html
>
> Questions:
> 1. Has anyone had success installing and using Lyx with BasicTex (I am
> mainly interested in koma-script article document class)?
>
> 2. Any ideas on using an external USB drive to hold the installation package
> and then selecting the components I need for Lyx?
>
> 3. Any other ideas on how to reduce the drive space requirement?

I haven't used BasicTeX myself, but I believe it will work together
with TeX Live Utility.app, which will allow you selectively to add
other LaTeX packages that BasicTeX itself does not include. It may be
a pain to track down packages you need but don't have and then to
install them, but if you're willing to put in that effort, BasicTeX
may be for you.

I believe (2) will not work: when installing the full MacTeX package,
it's pretty much all or nothing. (But I'm going from memory of
something I didn't pay attention to when installing MacTeX a long time
ago.)

BH