I'm looking for some advice on format and quality specification for
exporting graphs from R to go into a Lyx Document, that will end up as a
printed document.

At the moment each graph using the R defaults is a 3 - 4mb PDF, and I am
using them as 9cm x 9cm in the document.

Has anyone got  a standard spec that they use for exporting from R to keep
the file size as small as possible while still giving high quality

I am less than half way through a document which currently has 122 graphs
(each 9cm x 9cm) in it that gives me  a PDF of half a Gb. I can compress the
PDF with a Nautilus script down to 11Mb, but it would make sense to export
graphs that were as small as possible. At half a Gb, the preview scrolls
really badly on my PC.

Many thanks,

Graham