On 2011-06-15, RDB wrote:
> Dear LyX Users,

> I'm putting together a one-page guide to installing and using LyX on the
> latest stable version of Debian Linux.

> My hope is that the installation procedure it contains could be followed
> by a local charity which installs Linux on old donated hardware,

Hence it might be sensible to fokus on a ressource-friendly
configuration.

> What follows is the guide I have so far, which represents what I did to
> set up LyX on my own Debian 6.0.1 machine.  Any suggestions, particularly
> as regards potential "gotchas" I should address, extra software which
> users might appreciate being installed as they advance in their
> understanding of LyX, or common points of confusion for new users, would
> all be appreciated.  [Note: The steps I used to lay down the operating
> system are at http://russellb.livejournal.com/1335718.html but I doubt
> they'd be relevant for the limited purpose of critiquing the LyX install.]

> A ONE-PAGE GUIDE TO INSTALLING AND USING LYX ON DEBIAN 6 DESKTOPS

Can you also give the "codename" (lenny, ...), which is typically more
known than the release number?

> 1. To install LyX, start by opening System->Administration->Synaptic
> Package Manager. Under Settings->Preferences->General make sure "Consider
> recommended packages as dependencies" is checked

I use `aptitude` for installation, but this is a choice not specific to
LyX and should match the rest of your guide.

> then install the following packages: texlive-full, latex2rtf, chktex,
> rcs, and lyx. [Note: If you anticipate creating multiple documents with
> lengthy bibliographies, then install the "pybliographer" package as
> well.]

Especially on older hardware, texlive-full might be an overkill.
On my system, installing texlive-full would take 680 MB.

Instead, I would recommend

* the subset of suggested packages from the LyX package (which will
  install the base texlive packages as dependencies),
* elyxer (converting LyX to HTML)
* texlive-lang-* for the languages actually used,
* texlive-font-utils (provides the epstopdf converter),
* texlive-math-extra (if used in a scientific setting),
* texlive-xetex (only with LyX 2.0 (now in Debian/testing))
* For math typesetting with Times, the "qtxmath" font package is a good
  choice (provides bold symbols missing in mathptmx). It is "hidden" in
  texlive-lang-polish.

Günter