I am using the bm package in conjunction with LyX, and my document
recently started failing to build, complaining of too many math
alphabets. This can be fixed by limiting the number of alphabets that
bm uses, by placing the following commands in the preamble:

\newcommand{\hmmax}{0}
\newcommand{\bmmax}{3}

BEFORE the \usepackage{bm} statement. Full details here:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=manymathalph

The problem then is that LyX places users' custom preamble after its
own automated one, so it seems impossible to make those declarations
before \usepackage{bm}. Is there any way around this other than
exporting as LaTeX and building those files externally?

Thanks!

--
Andrew Steele
http://andrewsteele.co.uk/