On 13/07/2011 12:31 PM, steve_...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering if it is conceivable to generate (with a script) Lyx files, that
can be later opened in Lyx to perform final editing/touch-ups before generating
my final book?

Is their some documentation on the Lyx file format somewhere?
Will the Lyx format be easier or harder to manage than dealing directly with
Latex format?

Thanks
Steve

Thanks everyone for the great hints.

A couple of you asked what I intend to do (how complicated).

I'll be dragging data from a data base populated with genealogy data. It's not fully formulated in my mind yet, but I see:
-  for each person a new section
- sub sections for various details of the person (marriages, children, notes etc)
- maybe a table to summarize  various details of a person (life events)
- possibly the inclusion of a picture if the records contains a picture.

I was considering targeting Lyx as the generated files rather than Latex, as I will need to tweak the data, and potentially add more details, introductions, explanations etc. that are not included in the data base. I was wanting to use the pull from the data base as a starting base to which I need to do more work. As pointed out by Trevor I could import Latex files to lyx, this is under consideration but I would still need to generate the Latex files. In the mean time I've been playing around with the lyx2lyx python code and created a simple class that can write basic lyx files, I might try and push this a bit more and see if I can get the elements of lyx that I'll need to use to work.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions
Steve