Thanks for the answer,

I fixed the TOC trouble with latex command \addcontentsline, that seems to work. I thought that was not necessary in lyx, perhaps I'm wrong. Setting the font at 10 makes a difference indeed, but it still is not good at all.

Can I easily edit the dutch hyphenation file? Perhaps my edits could be used as 'update' for others to use too.

grtz,
Bart
Op schreef Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net>:
On 08/05/2011 09:29 AM, bart deruyter wrote:

> Hi all,

> I'm trying to typeset my novel, that I want to publish soon. I have

> started using lyx because it hides most of the technical stuff, so I

> can concentrate on the writing.

> But I'm having quite some trouble to get things looking right, things

> I thought were handled automatically.

> First of all, my TOC remains empty. As I understood, I just had to do

> 'Insert -> list/TOC -> Table of contents. I do use the correct

> paragraph types, Part, Chapter, section, subsection etc... so I

> thought the TOC would be generated automatically when viewing the pdf,

> but it does not.

Do these show up properly under the navigation menu? How about in the

outline?

You might also want to check under Document>Settings>Numbering & TOC.

> Secondly, a novel is rarely printed on A4, and the company I'd like to

> ask to print my book gives a discount on printing on A5 (printing on

> demand service) so I thought changing the document setting page size

> from A4 to A5. This obviously has a big influence on the flow of the

> text. My language is Dutch, and hyphenation is horrible. I do have

> texlive-lang-dutch installed. Also, words that can be split sometimes

> are not, which results in many, many overfull \hbox (from LaTeX Log).

> The margins are not followed.

I'd check the margins, for one thing; the default ones may be too wide

for A5 paper. Also, you may want to reduce the font size. 10 point

should be right.

Hyphenation is entirely a LaTeX issue. Perhaps the hyphenation files for

Dutch just aren't very good. I do not know.

Richard