I have a document in the Article (Elsevier) class, with Natbib Author- Year selected under Bibliography and \usepackage{natbib} in the preamble. I have a bibtex generated bibliography using the .bst style file of the journal which is in the folder with my document.

The bibliography is coming out fine, but the citations in the text should be, say, [Newton, 1999, 407] and I'm getting a numerical style with no brackets: 12, 407.

LyX 1.6.5 on a Mac

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bruce

P.S. I can live with a numerical style if I have to -- the journal will convert the numerical style to author-year (at least they did the last time) -- but I still would need the brackets: [12, 407], not just 12, 407.