On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 04:58:29 PM ChiPro wrote:
> Steve Litt <slitt <at> troubleshooters.com> writes:
> > I asked this exact question a couple years ago, and those were
> > the suggestions. I think I got lastpage to do what I wanted.
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Thanks Steve. Even more basic question, how do I install this
> package on my Mac? (I'm a beginner)

:-)

I guarantee you, as much of a beginner as you are with LyX, I'd be
more of a beginner on Mac. I think between 1984 and now I've logged
about 10 hours on a Mac.

On Linux you go to CTAN, download the package, put it in your LaTeX
tree, and run the texhash program, then in your LyX document
properties LaTeX Preamble you put \usepackage{lastline} or
\usepackage{totpages}, and in your actual document text follow the
directions in the package documentation.

Since you're a newbie I'm going to give you a piece of advice -- do as
I say, not as I do. I personally use LaTeX to finesse a lot of what I
need to do. On the other hand, there are many people on this list who
can instantly find a package to do what I'd spend a half a day
finessing. Those guys are a lot more productive than I. So become one
of them -- get really familiar with what CTAN offers, and how to
quickly find a package to enable a certain feature. There must be an
efficient way to do it, because a lot of people on this list can do it
instantly.

I have one other piece of advice for you, but let's wait until you're
in a position where you can't get your title page or other front
matter to look like you want it, and then ask me.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence