On 31/08/2011 6:53 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
Hi

I use Linux, but I tell my students who use windows to give LyX a try.
We had pretty good success with LyX-1.6.x, but the students say they
can't get 2.0 to work. I ignored them at first.  I decided to prove
that it works by filming a Screencast.  I created a Windows 7 32 bit
virtual machine and have tried to install lyx 2.0.0-3 in there. I've
tried both the LyX bundle and just Lyx with the net installer for
Miktex. Neither one works for me.

 From the Bundle, "lYX-2.0.0-3-Installer-Bundle.exe",  the LyX install
works fine.  That seems backwards to me, LyX should install itself
only after MikTeX works, nevertheless, it does trigger a MikTeX
install after LyX.  At the outset, I chose to set my papersize at
letter and to allow on-the-fly package installation. , it copies some
files and then dies. A pop up window appears:

"MikTeX Setup Wizard: The operation could not be completed for the
follwing reason: Windows API error 2: The  system cannot find the file
specified.
Details: C:\Program Files\MikTeX 2.9\tpm\packages\babel.tpm"

I think this is the first report of such an error. Could you please open a bug on the bug tracker?

And then this pops up after:

MikTeX Setup Wizard: A problem caused the program to stop working
correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution
is available.

It is rather annoying that one cannot try to run the
Lyx-Installer-Bundle again in order to pick up where it died without
doing a complete re-install of LyX itself.

WHen I try the nonbundle installer, the one that triggers a net
install of MikTeX, I see the error popup

"Downloading MikTeX failed. Would you like to try again? (HTTP/1.1 404
Not Found)

This is bug #7737
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/7737

Hopefully our windows installer gurus are working on it.

I've gone to the MikTeX site and grabbed a copy of their installer. I
notice that when I run that, it forces me to choose a Mirror.  It is
not clear to me why the LyX installer does not cause me to do the
same.

I think what happens is that the LyX installer chooses a particular one for you. Now when this mirror goes down the LyX installer would appear useless.

--
Julien