Yihui

As far as I know, there is no such a package named literate, and the
> Sweave module does not rely on noweb.sty (this seems to be a common
> misunderstanding about Sweave in LyX).
>
> I'm sort of lost in the discussion and do not know what is the problem
> right now.

Sorry for the delay in replying, there is no package named literate, but the
instructions (to me anyway) suggested that I needed to install a package
called literate, which I couldn't find it. I did go on to explain this in a
later post, after the problem had been solved.

One of the problems about SWeave on Lyx is that there are lots of different
instructions around, of varying ages, all giving slightly different
directions, including the need for noweb.sty.  But as you say, in fact it
isn't needed.

It's all a little confusing.

Graham