On 09/03/2011 05:18 PM, Jane Shevtsov wrote:

There's only one version of the Settings application. When I tried what you described, I got the error message below.

MiKTeX Problem Report
Message: No formats.ini exists.
Source: Libraries\MiKTeX\Core\FormatInfo.cpp
Line: 216
MiKTeX: 2.8
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
SystemAdmin: no
PowerUser: no
Root0: C:\Users\jaia\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.8
Root1: C:\Users\jaia\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.8
Root2: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.8
Root3: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8
UserInstall: C:\Users\jaia\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.8
UserConfig: C:\Users\jaia\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.8
UserData: C:\Users\jaia\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.8
CommonInstall: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8
CommonConfig: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.8
CommonData: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.8

Oh boy. Just to add complicating factors, you've got a 64 bit version of Win 7. Theoretically 32 bit apps run fine on the 64 bit version. Less theoretically, installers for 32 bit apps sometimes get confused by the 64 bit version (which installs them in a different place from where they think they're being installed). At least I think that's what goes on.

Anyway, before panicking, let's try this. Repeat what you just did, but instead of left-clicking the Settings icon on the Start menu, right click and pick "run as administrator" (wording approximate). Win 7 will ask you if you're sober (or something to that effect); tell it whatever it wants to hear. Click the same two buttons in the same order and see if MiKTeX behaves itself this time.

Paul