On 22/09/2011 12:05 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:
Paul Smith<phhs80<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Paul Smith<phhs80<at>  gmail.com>  wrote:
Write a short paragraph, select it and add an underbar to it.
Afterwards, introduce a formula in display style -- you will not be
able of compiling your document. (Please, see the attached example.)

Is this a bug?

As a workaround, insert in ERT two curly brackets. (See the attached example.)

Other things that work: hit Enter after the text, then insert the display
formula; use the text style button to reset the underbar style immediately at
the end of the text, then insert the display mode formula; create the document
the way you did but highlight the formula and use the text style dialog to reset
the underbar before compiling.

As to whether this is a bug, I think that would depend at minimum on whether
there are text styles (other than underbar) that one would want to extend into
display mode equations.  (I checked, and the document compiles fine if the
formula is inline; it has to be display mode to screw up.)  I can't think of any
reason to carry text styles into display mode formulas, but I'm not the most
imaginative guy when it comes to writing.  If there is no reason, that it might
be reasonable to ask LyX to discontinue text styles when display mode is
encountered and resume them later.

Paul

Size and color do make sense for math. Underline could potentially apply to math as well, but since it causes latex compilation failure, it is clearly a bug. The other text styles need not be carried into math formulas, as they don't affect math fonts, but they are kept anyway. Probably because they have not caused latex compilation failure so far.

--
Julien