Hello

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Olivier Ripoll
<durocortorum73-gm...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Using the "normal" Palatino font, I can get the checkboxes (3 states of
> them) using the insert->special characters->symbols... (in the
> "miscellaneous symbols" category).

I tried your suggestion and after inspecting the resulting PDF I
noticed that the checkboxes weren't Palatino, but provided by
'wasysym'. As I complained in the original post, I didn't quite like
them. It's nice to know that LyX is able to perform such substitutions
on the fly, but in this case it's not what I want.

> When using xetex/luatex (documents-> settings-> fonts), and choosing
> "Palatina Lynotype" font, they are replaced by a spiral in the pdf. Probably
> they are not available in that font, because they work fine with Deja Vu
> Sans.

I don't have "Palatina Lynotype", but I found a way to trick LyX when
using non-TeX fonts: select 'URW Palladio' for Roman and 'Deja Vu
Sans' for Sans Serif, and then write your text in Roman but make sure
that the symbols inserted are marked as Sans. (See attached.) I think
I may go with this solution. The only caveat is that this assumes that
you don't use Sans for much else in the document.

Thank you
Liviu