I hesitate to bring this up to the list because I don't like to
micromanage the application, typography, or page layouts. I leave that to
the experts. (About a dozen years ago I spent a lot of time trying to
install Type1 fonts in LaTeX, but gave up when I realized 1) I was wasting
time better spent using the tool and 2) Palatino is a perfectly fine body
text typeface.)

  However, ... there are a couple of icons I regularly use (such as the
footnote insertion pictograph) that don't appear because despite the LyX
window size in my 20" LCD wide screen monitor, there's not sufficient room
for them. At the same time, there are some icons I never use (Save, Print,
Open) and I'd like to either delete them or change their positions with the
icons I use more frequently.

  In ~/.lyx/ui/classic.ui I find the menus. Where can I find the contents of
the toolbars so I can mess them up from the order set by the developers?

Rich