I may be almost there. Any pointers would be appreciated...

as far as I can see, these are the key parameter locations

documents>settings>output
my default output format is pdf(xetex)
I have synchronize with output set to: \synctex=-1

in Tools>Preferences>Output
For forward search,
I don't know what the default is. I may have messed it up...
I tried Forward search set to:
CMCDDE SUMATRA control [ForwardSearch(\"$$o\",\"$$t\",$$n,0,0,1)]
or
CMCDDE SUMATRA control [ForwardSearch(\\\"$$o\\\",\\\"$$t\\\",$$n,0,0,1)]
per
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg159513.html
to no avail.

I then discovered that I needed to install separately CMCDDE to use this. I
downloaded it, and unzipped to get to cmcdde.exe. No installation instructions,
so I put it in my lyx/bin folder, but I feel this is wrong, just wrong.
Anyhow, it opened sumatra, but told me it couldn't open the file.
Because it was trying to open the file from lyx's bin folder.

So I tried this, which mentions that:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/135713
(installing lyxeditor.exe and putting sumatra.bat in
Tools>settings>output>file formats for pdf(xetex)
as described in the article).
It opened sumatra, and put "lyxeditor.exe %f %l"
into the inverse search command line.
but double clicking was inoperative.
it is installed in my sumatra program folder...

I tried this too, which seems very similar to the above...instead using a cmd
file:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/SyncTeX
even though it sounded complicated and it requires pdfsync which I read is
deprecated now.
I get the same lyx/bin folder problem as above.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.