Wolfgang Engelmann <engelmann <at> uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> > Maybe you tried in text mode?
> > It works only if the cursor is inside the
> > equation.
> >
> > Günter
>
> Thanks, Günther,
>
> but doing this does not help, and I tried it
> before. Do I have to include something in the
> preamble?

No, nothing special is needed; it should work "out of the box".  Does this occur
in a new document (article class, no modules)?

In Tools > Preferences > Editing > Shortcuts, if you put "alt+m n" in the "Show
..." search box, is math-number-toggle the only result you get?  Also, are you
perhaps using a customized UI file that might be remapping Alt+M+N?

The only other thing that I can think of is to type Alt+M+N in different parts
of a document (text area, heading, title, ...) until you find out what LyX
thinks it maps to (assuming LyX thinks it maps to a different command).

Paul