I would second everything that Liviu has said. I'd especially like to amplify
his mention of the mailing lists. 90% of the time I've had a problem, I could
immediately find mention of it on the lists, and very helpful responses. 10% of
the time, I figured it out myself, usually right after asking a question to the
list. The people are helpful and pretty prompt, even when questions have to do
with LaTeX code instead of LyX-specific stuff.

I started using LyX in graduate school, just because it was different and fun,
and now I use it for nearly all of my writing. It's immensely powerful for
everything from letter-writing to producing long works, and powerful without
having to learn a lot of esoteric coding or formatting. I think that trying to
use it for a week, just to see if you like it, will be very useful to you in
the long run.

                       Curtis O.