On 10/17/2011 12:49 PM, Johnston81 wrote:
1. Considering LyX over Word, how much time would I approximately need to
learn LyX to the extent that I can actually produce text, including graphics
and formulas(!), from a template?

Should be quick. I presume you have some basic programming skills. Not that you need them with LyX, but it would show the ability to easily learn the few special commands you might need.
2. What can I reasonably expect my learning curve to be after having learned
the bare basics; what I mean is, is it simple to teach LyX to oneself and
how easy is it to solve problems when encountered?
Should be easy indeed. There may be special gotcha's with Windows (another questioner had considerable trouble due to the use of absolute path names-- that may be the default under Windows, but I would advise against it), but it always made more sense to me than word or its clones.
3. And finally, being a skilled user of Word would I - ultimately - save or
spend time if I did try my luck on LyX?'
The problem is that many things will never be easy in Word. Dealing with equations is trivial in LyX, and a headache in Word. Some knowledge of TeX makes it even better.

--

David L. Johnson

"What am I on?  I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
What are you on?"
                --Lance Armstrong